Destination: Leavenworth, WA
Aside from strolling down Front Street, browsing the shops and taking in the breathtaking mountain views, the Bavarian town of Leavenworth, rated #1 tourist town in the Northwest by Family Fun magazine, has a lot to offer its visitors.
- Get out on the water!
- Whitewater Rafting- Enjoy an action-packed day paddling through the thrilling rapids of the Wenatchee River with Blue Sky Outfitters. With full-day and half-day trips available, it’s an easy addition to your family vacation and the whitewater and wine tours are perfect for a weekend getaway with the girls!
- Float the River- If you’re looking for something a little more low-key and relaxing, take a self-guided inner-tube float on the upper portion of the river. Tube Leavenworth with your family, friends and even bring your dog along.
- Play some golf!
- Desert Canyon- Treat yourself to 18 holes on the #1 golf course in Washington, Desert Canyon. Under an hour away from Leavenworth, play against the beautiful backdrop of rolling hills and water views and experience the best golf in the state.
- Icicle Junction- For those less-experienced golfers, hit the ball around at the Icicle Junction miniature golf course right in downtown Leavenworth. Sticking with the Bavarian theme, this family-fun activities center also offers an arcade, movie theater, and sports court.
- Sample some great food!
- The Cheesemonger’s Shop– Any kind of cheese you can think of, this Leavenworth shop has. Hard, soft, sharp, mild, they have it all. And what better complement to cheese than wine? They also sell wine and, of course, German beers. The perfect combination. Step in for a sample and you’re sure to make a purchase!
- Munchen Haus– If you’re looking for an authentic taste of Germany, eat at Munchen Haus—complete with outdoor dining and serving local Icicle Brewing Company’s beer. Their outdoor courtyard has a fun, family atmosphere and is even pet-friendly.
- The Alps Candy– For a quick snack or sugar fix on your way in or out of town, stop by The Alps candy store. The first floor is filled with candies including taffy, Swedish fish, and fudge while the rest of the store holds a variety of sauces: ketchup, mustard, barbeque and FLAVORFUL hot sauces. It’s a bit out of town along Highway 2 but regular customers say it’s worth the trip.
The town of Leavenworth is the perfect destination for families, couples, and friends alike and is jam-packed with fun activities to take part in. Next time you’re looking for a weekend getaway, no matter the season, Leavenworth should be at the top of your list!